Monday, June 12, 2017

Low-carb "Hot Wing" Cauliflower and the 8 Benefits of Eating Cauliflower



I went way outside of my comfort zone last week and starting seeing a personal trainer named Chris Schenck at Tribrid Personal Training in Mesa. I started mainly because I need someone who will kick my butt and hold me accountable to my goals.  So...believe me when I say that it was really emotional and weird for me (at first) even though it shouldn't have been.  I made it big in my head to have to seek help, even though, if it had been some other medical issue I wouldn't have hesitated to see a professional about it. This is the first time in all my years on earth that I've actually gone to see a personal trainer, so this is all new to me. Going to a gym? That's never happened. I've stuck to doing workouts at home...away from people. 


 I've had health coaches online in the past, but for some reason, this seems more "real".  True story, with the brain tumor several years ago, the medication made me gain about 80 lbs in just a few months, and then my whole system was messed up and I haven't, for the life of me, been able to take it off. When my doctor told me he'd like to see me lose (gulp of shame) 100 lbs...I was shocked that it had gotten that bad.  Despite my best efforts, it just hasn't been happening to take the weight off and keep it off. Given my profession as a TV host, that's been pretty discouraging. People judge us by how we look. I hear some pretty nasty comments now and then from total jerks online who have no idea what I have struggled with or where I have been in the past. 


 For the record,  I have lost about 30 lbs since this time last year walking first a few blocks a day and now a few miles a day.  It hasn't been glamorous. I gave up Diet Coke and switched to sparkling water with Sweet Leaf stevia drops.  I haven't had a sugar dessert since January. Anyone who knows me knows that change for health has been a miracle of miracles. I have been working on it. So the battle continues. 
So far, this last week, Chris has made me puke twice...and somehow I leave his gym feeling like that was totally cool, though he did offer me gum. wink. wink. "You smell like puke chick."  I say he "made me puke" but I pushed myself and he made sure I had a toilet.   After two days of weighted core squats, I was walking around my house like Yoda. Sore I was. Stretched more I did. It has officially been a week. I didn't puke today. So...there's that.  We'll keep moving onward and upward here and I'm still going to be sharing a few healthy recipes a week (as usual) and keeping myself accountable to you guys too. My fitness journey continues. The struggle is real, but it has been awesome this last year as I've felt more fit to see the changes. Now, we're stepping up to the next level.  

Here's the Cauliflower of glory!

 Chop a head of cauliflower.  Heat a larger frying pan to almost smoking and add 1-2 Tbsp avocado oil or coconut oil (I prefer avocado oil for high heat applications because it has a high smoke point and that means less free radicals in my gorgeous body). Saute the Cauliflower in the pan until caramelized, but not soft. That's important if you want the crunchy texture similar to hot wings. 
 At this point, season generously with Chef Tess All Purpose Seasoning  and drizzle with the true and righteous hot wing sauce.  I'm addicted to this stuff.  Frank's Red Hot...
 There are no calories or carbs...though it is a little higher in salt


 Try not to eat the whole thing. Oh wait. Maybe do try to eat the whole thing! Why? 

According to This Article From Mercola here are the 8 Top Health Benefits of Cauliflower!


8 Top Health Benefits of Cauliflower

Because of its beneficial effects on numerous aspects of health, cauliflower can easily be described as a superfood. 8 of its most impressive benefits follow:
1. Fight Cancer
Cauliflower contains sulforaphane, a sulfur compound that has also been shown to kill cancer stem cells, thereby slowing tumor growth. Some researchers believe eliminating cancer stem cells may be key to controlling cancer.
For instance, research has shown that combining cauliflower with curcumin (the active compound in the spice turmeric) may help prevent and treat prostate cancer.1
A study published in Carcinogenesis also found sulforaphane may reduce the incidence and rate of chemically induced mammary tumors in animals.2 It also inhibits the growth of cultured human breast cancer cells, leading to cell death.
Other compounds in cauliflower also show anti-cancer effects. According to the National Cancer Institute:3
"Indoles and isothiocyanates have been found to inhibit the development of cancer in several organs in rats and mice, including the bladder, breast, colon, liver, lung, and stomach."
2. Boost Heart Health
Sulforaphane in cauliflower and other cruciferous vegetables has been found to significantly improve blood pressure and kidney function.4 Scientists believe sulforaphane's benefits are related to improved DNA methylation, which is crucial for normal cellular function and proper gene expression, especially in the easily damaged inner lining of the arteries known as the endothelium.
3. It's Anti-Inflammatory
You need some level of inflammation in your body to stay healthy. However, it's also possible, and increasingly common, for the inflammatory response to get out of hand. 

If your immune system mistakenly triggers an inflammatory response when no threat is present, it can lead to significant inflammation-related damage to the body, a condition linked to cancer and other diseases, depending on which organs the inflammation is impacting.
Cauliflower contains a wealth of anti-inflammatory nutrients to help keep inflammation in check, including indole-3-carbinol or I3C, an anti-inflammatory compound that may operate at the genetic level to help prevent the inflammatory responses at its foundational level.5
4. It's Rich in Vitamins and Minerals
Most Americans are seriously lacking in nutrients their body needs to function. Eating cauliflower regularly is a simple way to get these much-needed nutrients into your body. For instance, one serving of cauliflower contains 77 percent of the recommended daily value of vitamin C. It's also a good source of vitamin K, protein, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, magnesium, phosphorus, fiber, vitamin B6, folate, pantothenic acid, potassium, and manganese.
5. Boost Your Brain Health
Cauliflower is a good source of choline, a B vitamin known for its role in brain development. Choline intake during pregnancy "super-charged" the brain activity of animals in utero, indicating that it may boost cognitive function, and improve learning and memory. It may even diminish age-related memory decline and your brain's vulnerability to toxins during childhood, as well as conferring protection later in life.6
6. Detoxification Support
Cauliflower helps your body's ability to detoxify in multiple ways. It contains antioxidants that support Phase 1 detoxification along with sulfur-containing nutrients important for Phase 2 detox activities. The glucosinolates in cauliflower also activate detoxification enzymes.7
7. Digestive Benefits
Cauliflower is an important source of dietary fiber for digestive health. But that's not all. According to the World's Healthiest Foods:8
"Researchers have determined that the sulforaphane made from a glucosinolate in cauliflower (glucoraphanin) can help protect the lining of your stomach. Sulforaphane provides you with this health benefit by preventing bacterial overgrowth of Helicobacter pylori in your stomach or too much clinging by this bacterium to your stomach wall."
8. Antioxidants and Phytonutrients Galore
Eating cauliflower is like winning the antioxidant and phytonutrient lottery. It's packed with vitamin C, beta-carotene, kaempferol, quercetin, rutin, cinnamic acid, and much more. Antioxidants are nature's way of providing your cells with adequate defense against attack by reactive oxygen species (ROS). 

As long as you have these important micronutrients, your body will be able to resist aging caused by your everyday exposure to pollutants, chronic stress, and more. If you don't have an adequate supply of antioxidants to help squelch free radicals, then you can be at risk of oxidative stress, which leads to accelerated tissue and organ damage.
 So, eat your Cauliflower!

 Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess






3 comments:

Charlotte Moore said...

GOD BLESS in this battle. It is VERY hard! I have had a weight issue almost my whole life. It is such a struggle. Sounds like you have a good plan going.

emmers said...

Thanks for posting this steph! I struggle with food addiction and your healthy spin on buffalo wings sounds amazing ! Your journey and desire to be healthy and strong is awesome ! Keep it up ! !

Unknown said...

Congrats Tess, you've taken a big step. In 2011 I joined a gym at the age of 64. It wasn't easy and it took me four years, but I lost a total of 100 pounds. My point is it CAN BE DONE. Stick to it and GOOD LUCK.

-Mike