Monday, June 24, 2013

Healthy Strawberry Almond Quinoa Breakfast Salad

The 90 day weight loss challenge continues.  I'm down 8 lbs and 10 inches since we started just over 30 days ago.  I know I have a long way to go, but I'm more excited about the success along the way and am so happy with how things are going so far.  When I visited my doctor this week he said, "Don't you dare quit! Keep going!" So, that was a huge motivational push. He's a great support. Are we ready to eat then?!! Let's celebrate summer!

It is stinking hot in Arizona during the summer and I never want anything warm. So, it goes without saying that during these months I keep a nice cool breakfast salad in the fridge. My friend Melissa has been going on morning walks with me and after a wonderful chatty-chat walk, there's nothing like a healthy-health breakfast!  This is by far my favorite flavorful boost in the morning for energy and for a great amount of protein. Plus, it is vegan and gluten-free! It's full of fiber and low impact carbohydrates for an even blood sugar level throughout the day. It packs a lot of nutrition into the 200 calories it gives me and keeps me going full speed.  Go for organic berries if you can.  I love how all the fruit is in season right now. I love this salad made with fresh cherries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries as well. If you've never cooked quinoa, I have a full tutorial on Quinoa cookery  Here . Quinoa is a super-grain and one of the most nutritious things you can add to your diet.

Strawberry Almond Quinoa Breakfast Salad
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup fresh strawberries, sliced
2T agave nectar
1/4 cup toasted almonds (about 10 each)
2 tsp fresh orange zest
1/2 tsp Chef Tess Wise Woman of the East Spice blend
2T Fresh lemon juice

Directions: Combine all ingredients. Serve Chilled.

Yield 2 cups breakfast salad.
Nutritional information: Serving size 1 cup (2 servings per recipe). 201 calories, 5 g fat, 34 carbohydrates, 5g fiber, 8 g protein.

There you Go! Don't you dare quit! Keep going!!  Onward and upward my darlings!!

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess

No comments: