Tuesday, April 2, 2013

3 New Rolls for Spring (from one base dough) Tutorials of Love


It is Tutorial Tuesday! Spring is in the air. Baking with darling friends is in the air. Carbs are in the air. Guess what?! I got to bake some delightful rolls with my sweet friend Sassy Cassie! She's heading off to start her culinary training soon and I certainly needed some Cass' face-time before that happened...and all the way through school. I told her she needs to tag me on facebook everyday so I feel like I'm not missing her adventures! You know how it is right? You meet someone who is such a kindred spirit that it is almost scary. She's one of those.  

So, here's a peek at what we did. I know you can do them too because they are just some cool shapes to do and make with dough. For each of the variations you can use any of the Basic Bread Recipes. I personally prefer my mom's 5 Day Bread Dough. The dough is good in the fridge up to 7 days and I was raised with this bread. It is my mother's recipe.  It can be used for a variety of recipes...basically any recipe that needs some kind of delightful dough base. 


First variation today, 
  Herb fans
I'm the biggest herb fan. Ever...so this is basically a hot-bun version of me.
 How's that for scary?
A fan roll is a fabulous way to have an herb or spiced pull-apart layer-by-layer love bomb. 
Roll out a pound of dough as you would a cinnamon roll, on a lightly floured work surface about 1/2 inch thick. Then cover with a light layer of butter and sprinkle with your favorite herb combination.  Today I used my Chef Tess Big Dill Seasoning. It is a delightful combination of garlic, onion, bell pepper, citrus and dill. Perfect for a Spring salad or in this case, a spring dinner roll.  There really is a little bit of me inside...but in a very non-cannibal way.  At any rate, cut the dough into 1 1/2 inch strips the entire length of the dough and stack the dough strips. 
Cut the stack into 2 inch stacks and place sideways into a greased muffin pan. 
Raise until doubled in size. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Yields about a dozen rolls. 

Next up...
Savory French Herb and Smoked Paprika Pinwheel:
I know you know what a cinnamon roll is...if you've lived on this planet for more than a week in America. Well...here's my favorite variation (today). 
Roll out 1 lb of dough in a 12 inch by 8 inch rectangle.  Spread with a thin layer of butter to the edges and sprinkle with French Provencal Essential blend. It is a bold, rustic blend of herbs, citrus, and garlic, and sea salt. I love it with chicken, but I especially love it in buns. Roll up the dough and cut into 2 inch pin-wheels. 

Place in a greased muffin tin and sprinkle lightly with a really good smoked paprika.  This gives the buns a beautiful spring color and a bold spring flavor...plus they just look like flowers in your dinner roll basket!

Last but certainly not least...
Bear Claws-o-Glory
This is a classic breakfast bun and it can be filled with a wide variety of flavorful blends. Today I chose a sweet variation  using hazelnut paste, a kiss of ginger and touch of lemon. You can do any number of flavors but I've done them with raspberry jam and a little jalapeno. They're excellent as a blue cheese and black pepper roll. Amazing as an orange-cardamom roll...with a hint of lavender or nutmeg. You name it. You're only limited by your giant brain!


Roll out your pound of dough into a rectangle, twelve inches by 8 inches. Spread with the filling of your choice. I used 1/2 cup of hazelnut butter and a sprinkle of sugar...along with the zest of half a lemon and 1 tsp of ginger. It works best to cream the spice and zest into the hazelnut butter. 
Roll tightly and pinch at the seams. Cut into 4 3 inch rolls and flatten the rolls with the heal of your hand.
Cut with 3 notches along the length of the bun, being careful not to cut through the roll. 
Place on a greased  baking sheet. 
Lightly mist with water and allow to raise until doubled. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 350 degrees 30-35 minutes. 
They're the perfect grab-n-go!

Speaking of that. Grab your favorite baker and GO! Start creating today my darlings! I'm excited to see what you're up to! Seriously. It always makes me smile to read about your success!



Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess

2 comments:

emmers said...

I finally figured out that if I click on the 'no comments' button...then I can leave a comment! Just wanted to thank you for the herb fan tutorial - my fam is going to LOVE these - almost like a flaky biscuit only... better! You inspire me, and I thank you for that...AND you make me look GOOD :) The rolls.... rock (but not in a hard [as] rock but fluffy soft rock kind of way)!!

Unknown said...

May i ask how you paint on the dough?