Friday, November 30, 2012

Love is a cupcake...the Gift you give from the heart.

 I remember my mother coming home from work one December day when I was in my teen years. Bless her heart for loving me through that emotionally weird time.  Teenage girl-hood is such a funny time isn't it? I love you mom. At the time I was screaming for my own identity...and you let me become the woman I am today. Part of that, was how freely mom shared her experiences.

Mom had been crying and I knew it wasn't because of the boss or something stress related. I know she had been under a lot of pressure, but I didn't know, even remotely, what she was dealing with at the time. I didn't learn that until I faced it myself. I did learn however, that her tears that day were tears of gratitude for a single cupcake. It was after the office had closed and most of the people in the office had left...except for mom and one other woman.  With tears in her eyes mom told me that the sweet lady would come in and clean the office and was financially in a very bad spot. That night, the woman had given my mom a single cupcake as her gift. Mom gently unwrapped the cupcake while the woman was there in the office and relished every bite while telling this friend, in all honesty, that it was the best cupcake she had ever eaten. It was full of love. It was the best gift ever. I'll never forget that cupcake.

Today I wanted to share something that has been on my mind. I think it is more important this time of year because there is so much emphasis on the gifts that come along.  I've been, for many years, giving homemade gifts. In all honesty, that was what I could afford financially. Honesty here...it was really hard. In my heart I thought I was somehow giving less of gift than what I could give. Now, I realize more than ever, that it isn't the package...it is the love inside the package. 
 Today...I'm thankful for the lesson of the cupcake. 
For me, it isn't how many you give, it is the love behind the cupcake.

Why do I do what I do? It is because I truly deeply believe that the love you give away is the only love worth having. That being said, I'm looking forward to a very full and busy weekend! I'll be sharing the love with all of my dear ones who I'm certain have no idea how much they really have changed me! Thank you for the love. Thank you for the powerful energy in your heart. You have made a difference to me and my family. You have walked with me through a very tough and yet, magical year! I don't imagine I can ever express it enough. But just in case...I'll be sure to bring you a cupcake. 

Remember tomorrow is the Ribbon Cutting Event. Xoxo!

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess


2 comments:

denimflyz said...

What a wonderful, blessed, post this afternoon. I got teary-eyed from reading it.
I do home made gifts of food and brandies and wines from my own hand and heart. This gifts I give to people who appreciate them. A lot of people here look down upon home made gifts as cheap, hillybilly ways. I do not. I love when I get food gifts, hand made gifts, seed gifts and other special things that just make my heart sing.
Thank you for sharing and being who you are.
Regards

Linda Carole Bloom said...

Hi Tess,
I'm a new follower to your blog and love the "meals in jars" posts. I purchased your cookbook a few months ago, looking for the new one soon. I loved the cupcake story! Made 6 loaves of pumpkin bread today for gifts.