Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Righteous Morning Muffins...9 Grain Carrot Cake


All right. I admit it. I have a viscous weakness for carrot cake. Evil little confection. How can something so chuck full of vegetables be so danggum evil? What is it about that fluffy spiced carrot and nut confection that makes me go weak in the knees? Sigh... Cuss. Cuss.  It's a tedious balance between love and hate that I have for carrot cake.   If I believed in reincarnation, I'd think I was a rabbit who lived at the nut house in a former life. Seriously. I bet I'd have been cute. Ya know...with a button nose and some floppy ears and all the carrots and nuts I could eat. Do rabbits eat nuts? You thought I was talking about the loony-bin huh?  Well. There's a special place reserved for me there too...with nice rubber wallpaper. {black and white polka-dots on it}...
Here's the deal-i-ohhhh. I love carrot cake, enough that I thought I needed to make it for breakfast. Not that there's anything wrong with carrot cake for breakfast right? In Chef-Tess land, all things are possible. Sniff the air in Chef Tess Land. It sells like carrots and spice...and a little bit of crazy. 

I went back in the blog and realized...yup. I'm carrot cake girl. Look at them:
Carrot Cake Breakfast pudding,
 Low Fat Carrot Cake Cookies,
 Cranberry Carrot Cake With Lemon Cream Sauce
Sourdough Carrot Cake with Warm Cream Cheese Lemon Sauce
Snackin' Dino Carrot Cake
Caramel Filled Carrot Cupcakes with Toffee and Candied Pecans
I need more for breakfast right? (This is where you nod your head and just agree. It's safer that way.) I need less fattening good-for-me carrot cake. I need carrot cake that won't make my "bum" look big. Seriously. Is it so much to ask for? In working with my 9 Grain Baking Mix I realized I had created my own solution. This is a low fat, whole grain muffin with added corn bran, flax seed and chia seed so I get my fiber and my omega-oils. They are sweetened naturally with a zero carb natural sweetener. They are a moist delicious solution to my carrot cake obsession. See. I knew it could be done. 
Chef Tess' Righteous Morning Carrot Cake Muffins
1 cup granular erythritol (sugar free natural sweetener)
1/3 cup corn bran
2T white Chia Seed
2tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup water
2 cups fine shredded carrot (about 2 large carrots)
Directions:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large half gallon size bowl, combine the baking mix, erythritol (sugar will work in it's place), corn bran,seeds and spice blend. Add the vanilla and water. Stir until just combined. Fold in the shredded carrots.  Fill 12 muffin cups 3/4 of the way full. Bake in 350 degree oven 20-22 minutes until muffins are golden brown and spring back when you touch them lightly (don't burn yourself.). 
Serve warm or wrap when they cool and store them in an airtight container. Yield 1 dozen muffins. (see nutritional info below)

There you go. Make righteous morning muffins carrot cake muffins for breakfast. You know I love you right? See...I really do. I shared my carrot cake. That's an act of supreme love right there.  Now I need to go pick out some nice rubber wall-paper.  Get your printable recipe kitchen wall paper here.

Nutritional information for 1 muffin.
Calories: 104
Total fat: 2.2 g
Cholesterol: 15 mg
Sodium: 20 mg
Potassium: 192 mg
Total carbohydrate: 18.7g
Dietary Fiber:   5 g
sugars: o.0 g
Protein: 4.5 g


Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess

1 comment:

Moira said...

I'm with you, gotta love the carrot!
These look really yummy!!! Thanks for the recipe :)
Moira