Sunday, March 18, 2012

Being Mortal...The Bread of Life Section

For the first time that I can remember, it's actually colder here in Arizona than it is in Delaware. March is the month that it's usually warming up and two days ago I was bragging about walking outside bare foot and having to put away my sweaters (the three I have) since it was going to be warm again. Now, the gusts of wind howling outside my window remind me how interestingly new each day is that I get to live on this planet and be subject to things of mortality. Odd as that may seem to think about, I spent the better part of the day cursing this mortal self and my inability to just move forward and do all that I needed to do. I rarely complain about much of anything, but the few things I do deal with, sometimes catch up to me. Today I stayed in bed. A few times I ventured across my room to the computer to try to put into words what I was really most excited to share during my Sunday Bread of Life post.  I feel like someone needs to hear this, even if it's just me making myself hear it.


Here's what I need to share today. I'm so thankful that I have every single day that I have been given to live and breathe. For, despite the days I do have to slow down, this life I live is remarkable! There are so many dear friends who I've come to know and love through this blog and I want each of you to know that no matter what, I have counted it my greatest honor to be considered one of your friends. Many who I meet talk to me as if they've known me for years, and for that, I thank you. It's a remarkable gift. 


Late last night I voiced this feeling with my friends on Facebook, "Ever have one of those moments when the body you have won't keep up with the energy in your spirit? I realize it's all part of the mortal experience...but somehow I wish I could just go forever. When I do finally move on to the next world, do you think I could have turbo speed to do all the good I could possibly do, as fast as I possibly could do it?"  I realize that I might have sounded a little ungrateful for my life at that moment of posting on Facebook, it was actually more of a lamentation at my own mortal shortcomings.After I posted that, I thought immediately of Mosiah 4:27, "And see that all these things are done in wisdom and order; for it is not requisite that a man should run faster than he has strength. And again, it is expedient that he should be diligent, that thereby he might win the prize; therefore, all things must be done in order. " 
I realize that God won't expect more than I can do, but He will expect all that I can do. Keeping that in mind, I didn't feel guilty that my body wouldn't move forward today. I let it rest. I had given my all this week and I knew it. Had I done less, I could have felt guilty. Being mortal is a new experience for this "spiritual being" stuck in this human frame. Everyone has their own beliefs when it comes to things spiritual. I've long believed that the spirit and body will someday be united forever and that this body, will someday be perfected by God and in fact be part of my immortal inseparable soul. That would be part of the Resurrection I'd look forward to most...finally having the spirit and the perfected immortal body that doesn't need to sleep. I think my mother said it best when I was last visiting her, "Honey, you've always been so excited to be on earth you never wanted to miss a single minute. Even when you were a new baby! For you, sleep never came easily. I always knew it was because you wanted to see everything all around you in this world. Honey, sleep now. You won't miss anything. You're only human...so far."
So I rest today with this in my heart: “Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.” ― Victor Hugo . So...Sleep well my friends. Move onward and upward, but rest when you need it. God will only expect your best, nothing more, nothing less. 

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess


2 comments:

Crafty Crusader said...

AAaaahhhh.....Chef Tess, you are a blessing in ways you do not even know...your timing is impeccable! You are not merely speaking to yourself, of that I can assure you, there are many of us (most certainly me, at the very least!) listening/reading & understanding. I have had a busy week (& LIFE it seems!) myself, overextending to near exhaustion, yet a life full of wonderful fruits of my labor...but EXHAUSTED nonetheless, and barely able to get out of bed this morning, (one of the unplanned "fruits" of my most recent labors, I might add!). Your blog post resonated deeply with me!! So I send you my support & blessings & heartfelt gratitude for all that you share with us!! (I'm here in Phoenix too, so I really get to enjoy you and relate to so much of what you share, from the weather, to your great tv appearances, and so much more!)...keep on keepin' on, sister!! Much Love shooting your way!! (and extra energy boosts too!!) ~Deanne PS. Loving the gluten-free recipes as I was diagnosed last year as gluten-intolerant and it has been an "interesting" challenge to adapt my neighborhood gourmet style without permission to eat my beloved bread & pastries and all those other tasty things that my life used to revolve around...And I guess I've been successful at it because I haven't lost a POUND with the gluten-free substitutions and detours I've been able to incorporate into my own recipes...haha! Perhaps if I didn't dislike sweating so much I'd be better off...a little bit more exercise might remedy that issue! LOL!

Chef Tess said...

Ahh Deanne...I'm hugging you right now!! Thank you my darling!!