Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Michelle's Mom's Caramel Popcorn

My friend Michelle taught a grain class today and I sat in on it. Yes, I attend classes as well as teach. It keeps me young. I think she taught me a few things too.  Thank you Michelle! One of recipes that she shared was pretty dang yummy. It was a great way to make  chewy caramel corn using 3 ingredients for the caramel (4 ingredients for the whole recipe if you count the popcorn).  I think it was just awesome. Aaaawwwwsoooome!. Michelle told us that this is a recipe her mom would make with her very often. Every Thursday night when she lived at home they'd make caramel popcorn together and watch a movie. Ah. You know I'm a sucker for a good family recipe right?  I think it's one that we'll keep around for a long time. Note. It uses a lot of butter. Um...I really think this needs to be added to my "Evil" category. Do you know what else?  I think it would be amazing with some freeze dried apple mixed with the popcorn (caramel apple popcorn?!) or salted almonds. However, as it sits...it's just a simple, easy, no fuss, beautiful, chewy and delicious caramel popcorn. 


Michelle's Mom's Caramel Popcorn

2cubes butter (1/2 lb)
1/2 cup dark Karo Syrup
2 cups Brown sugar
16  cups popped popcorn (about 1 cup unpopped)

In a heavy bottomed pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add Karo syrup and brown sugar. Bring to a hard boil one minute only. Pour over popcorn and stir well. 

Thank you Michelle! Thank you Michelle's Mom!

There you go. Make some easy caramel popcorn. Another family favorite here is the  Homemade Cracker-Jacks. Whatever you make. Make yummy memories!

Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess



7 comments:

Herbalpagan said...

YUM! Is a "cube" of butter a Tablespoon or a stick? (just wondering)I wonder if I could make this taste as good with the butter powder...
This is GREAT, the Karo syrup and the brown sugar are on the list of "forever foods" with no shelf life too!

Chef Tess said...

2 cubes is a half pound (1 cup). It's evil. I know the butter powder won't work for this...but I can play with the food storage ingredients. I make a caramel popcorn that uses honey and sugar, no butter. I'll have to see where I put that recipe though. It's pretty yummy as well.

Herbalpagan said...

It would be nice if we can figure out a way to get that butter flavor from long term food storage!
I can't envision carmel without the butter. LOL

Chef Tess said...

You can use the butter powder on the popcorn and then put the candy coating on it. I'll work on it though. I'm with ya!!

Herbalpagan said...

I did email you per your request.

Anonymous said...

A trick from my Mom. Put the popped corn in a brown grocery bag. Have a person holding the sides of the bags and bouncing the popcorn while you very slowly pour the caramel over the popcorn.

Anonymous said...

Super easy. Super good!!!