Sunday, November 13, 2011

Who's the Judge Anyway? Constructive Criticism (Bread of Life Section)


Sunday is the day I share a little of my soul. Enjoy.
 I've had an interesting and challenging week full of some unique opportunities to learn and grow.  One of these challenges has come in the form of my food, believe it or not. As a chef I think I take food criticism personally. However I'm learning to look at other's opinions a little differently as of late. I get the chance to share recipes I've prepared very often. At times there are some varying ideas of what a good sauce is or what an ideal stuffing may be. I may find one person's gravy a little salty. Other's may find mine um...perfect. {Grin} . However, because food is not only my profession but also at times a direct creation of my heart, I tend to be a little tender when it comes to opinions about my food. Well...can I just say that this week I've seen some amazing changes in my ability to take some constructive criticism. I think I called it, "Putting on my big girl pants." I'm starting to see that for the most part, there are 95% who think something is amazing! "The best ever!" and then maybe 5% who have some words to offer up in a form of "helpful difference of opinion". Usually those opinions, if I look at them for what they are can actually be quite helpful.  Sometimes, they're just a matter of preference. 
Case in point. Cranberry sauce. This creation (pictured above) was so well received it's a forever winner and keeper. I had great response. One gal said, "It tastes really good but I don't like chunks in my cranberry sauce." Now, a while ago, I might have changed my sauce for the one. However, in so doing, it would have been ruined for the others who loved the chunks. My point. Is it a matter of preference or a matter of principle?  She didn't say it had the most displeasing flavor to ever hit her pallet. 
There is a difference when it comes to things of Faith. I am the last to ever offer criticism. I am the last to ever try to judge another. I think it's far from food and preference. It's more on ,"what is my place?" I'm not the Lord. I will not ever be able to judge another's heart because I have never lived in their shoes. My Savior alone is the only one who can do the judging.  In Romans 14:10-14:
"10 But why dost thou ajudge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the bjudgment seat of Christ. 11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every aknee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall bconfess to God.  12 So then every one of us shall give account of himself to God. 13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a astumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother’s way."
This week I'm going to be more earnest at remembering to love as a sister and friend and leave the Lord to His work. Isn't that what being a Christian is about? I hope you all know how much I love you. Your encouragement and friendship mean so much to me. Thank you for all you do and are.
There it is.
Always My Very Best,
Your Friend Chef Tess

No comments: