Monday, August 22, 2011

Teff, Chia Seed and Oatmeal No Bake Cookies




 No bake cookies shouldn't be healthy. Or should they? Should they be even close? I think so. I think they should be brimming with whole grains of goodie-two-shoes and happily-ha-ha! What am I saying really? I'm saying that today is Monday and I'm not baking with food storage today. I'm no-baking with food storage and whole grain to bring you these little love nuggets. Auntie Em used to call no bake cookies something gross. I won't even tell you what she called them. I won't. I'm going to save you from ever thinking that the girlie-girl sunshine twins would ever call a cookie anything that monkeys would use as...um...ammo. Well...here's some Ammo for mom! Teff and Chia are probably some of the healthiest grains you could add to your family's diets. I'm not kidding. Grain surgery wise...this is the rocket science of it all here honey! Plus...it's 116 degrees here all week. I'm not baking...even my sun oven may see a vacation...but then again...I have two bread classes this week so maybe not.  
 For more nutritional facts on Teff, look here .
What about cha-cha-cha- chia?
Are you familiar with Chia Seeds? They are the The Buzz word in Super Grain

Chia was cultivated by the ancient Aztecs, and was honored as a superfood. Chia is one of the best plant sources of beneficial Omega-3 oils, especially a-linolenic acid (ALA). Scientific Research on Omega-3 and other essential fatty acids (EFA) continues to prove that EFAs support cardiovascular health, comfortable joint mobility, immune system function and overall cellular energy. Chia is often stored for long periods of time as a Survival Food since it does not quickly turn rancid like other sources of Essential Fatty Acids. Chia is high in vitamins and minerals such as magnesium, potassium and phosphorous. It contains many antioxidants, including significant levels of caffeic acids, quercetin and flavonols. Chia is an excellent source of high molecular weight soluble fiber, which supports healthy bowel function.  Looking at the Nutrition Facts and Analysis for chia seeds revealed a glycemic index of 1. That's amazing for a grain!  When Chia is mixed into a liquid, it forms a thick mass due to its high content of beneficial mucilages. This slows the digestion of carbohydrates in the digestive system, leading to a feeling of fullness, and reduces the spike in blood sugar that often accompanies the ingestion of carbohydrates. Chia added to this cookie and others will  add to that full feeling. I love that I only want to eat a couple for a nice filling snack.
                I use sugar in these cookies. You can use 1 cup honey and 1/4 cup water instead, but you will need to increase the boiling time to 6-8 minutes. I also use a healthier oil. Some of these no-bake cookie recipes call for butter. I'm all for using an infused olive oil like  Wild Groves Blood Orange Olive Oil or Flax seed oil and some orange zest would also work.  I personally love the addition of the orange oil. It gives it a light fresh flavor. It's a perfect marriage to the chocolate.{ Big fan.} I use a  Wild Groves Pomegranate Balsamic Vinegar in this recipe to keep the texture nice and caramel like. If you don't use vinegar, the sugars will naturally get crystallized.  That's probably my #1 complaint when it comes to no-bake cookies...the texture is more like a sugar ball than a cookie. The vinegar has helped solve that. 
My Teff and Chia Seed Oatmeal No Bake Cookies
Syrup ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1/4 cup Wild Groves Blood Orange Olive Oil 
1T Lucero Wild Cherry Balsamic Vinegar
3T Honey
1/2 cup water
2tsp vanilla
Dry ingredients:
4 cups quick oats
1 Cup organic cocoa (baking cocoa)
3/4 cup Teff
1/4 cup Chia Seed (Flax seed also works here)


Directions: Lightly oil 2 cookie sheets or line them with wax paper.  In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients.  In a one gallon pot over medium heat, combine syrup ingredients and boil for 4 minutes stirring constantly. Pour boiling mixture over the dry ingredients and stir until well combined. Allow cooling until you can touch them.  Roll into 1T size balls. Plop onto wax paper and allow to cool completely. Transfer to an airtight container.  (I keep mine in the fridge).  Will yield about 45 cookies. 

There you go. Oh...and be sure to eat them with a big glass of water. There's a lot of fibre in these and I'd hate to see them have a cork-effect on ya instead of what they should do...ya know...Make you healthy and happy. 
Your Friend,
Chef Tess

5 comments:

Gourmified said...

I'm so intrigued by this "cookie". I LOVE no bake cookies and even have chia seeds. BUT may take some time to find the other ingredients. Hm.

Anonymous said...

I made your no bake cookies and they are seriously the best thing ever! They don't even taste like no bakes…you know how no bakes tend to have kind of a chalky texture? These are more like chewy chocolate granola bars. That little crunch the teff/chia seeds gives them is yummo! I wish I could get onto your blog from here to post this comment, but wanted you to know anyways that they are perfection! WITH a big glass of water :) I'm going to bring them on the hike tomorrow for sure

Chef Tess said...

Above comment sent to my email from a darling girl who can't get on my blog at work. The whole office was addicted to my site! xo! Thanks hun! What a sweet comment and I had to share it with everyone here too! Big hugs!!

Julie Q. said...

Just wanted you to know I was disappointed the bread class in SLC got canceled. I was really looking forward to it! Hope you'll let me know when you're doing it here again (or next time I'm in AZ...).
Julie

Chef Tess said...

Julie...I love you sweetie! Thank you for letting me know. I will be up again I'm certain. Not sure if it will be September or October...but I'll see what I can do. Big hugs!