Monday, August 15, 2011

Sweet n Hot Coconut Lime Saigon Wings with Peanut and Plum Asian Slaw


Monday is usually the day I outline a few amazing things you can do cooking with simple basic ingredients from your food storage of happiness. Today isn't an exception. I visited my parent's house in Utah and we had a wing "throw down" that was intense! My Brother in law's wings will be tomorrow...But today we'll be using some of the fresh stuff from my family's garden and some of the goodies we have tucked away to make this magnificent dinner o-glory and love. Yeah baby! It's a totally amazing twist on the normal hot wings we have and my gosh...I love how the crunchy smoky crusting melts into the tender savory Asian lime and ginger rubbed wings. It's a flavor fusion that even the kid liked! The kicker was the sweet kiss of honey and the heat of the chile...incredible!

 Couple that amazing Saigon wing symphony with this Peanut and Plum Asian slaw and you will just start dancing in your kitchen. It's got savory fresh fennel, lemon basil, green onion, cabbage, crunchy dehydrated puffed carrots and peanuts with a perfect balance of sweet from freeze dried pineapple, fresh plums and homemade peach jam. It's then finished with a nice coconut milk, lime and sesame dressing...Are you ready for this?
 Let's start with the wings.

You will need:
2 lbs chicken wings, skins removed if possible
 Wayzata Bay  Saigon Seasoning 
Chef Tess Wise Woman of the East Spice Blend
3T honey
2 tsp sesame oil
smoked paprika
1/2 cup coconut flakes (unsweetened)

You will also need a Large sheet pan and a metal oven proof rack that fits the pan. 
Wayzata Bay Saigon Seasoning is available at Honeyville Farms stores. I fell instantly in love with it!
 I can't be sure if it was the lime and coconut combination in conjunction with the ginger, anise and coriander...or if it was just a brilliant cousin to my Wise Woman blend...
However...these two together proved to be a brilliant match for flavor.
Sprinkle generous amounts of the Saigon seasoning on the chicken and lightly dust with my seasoning.  Place on an metal rack on top of a sheet pan (with sides to catch the drippings). I bake my wings and I find this method helps keep them really crisp.
Drizzle the seasoned wings with honey...
Sprinkle with sesame oil. Sesame oil adds a bit of a smoky flavor...so you don't want to substitute here. It will totally change the flavor. In fact, when you taste a smoky hint in Chinese food...this is usually the magic ingredient. Mmmm. Sesameeeee.
Look at those babies! I'm seriously drooling. I shouldn't drool this long after making them but honey...they were so good!
Sprinkle with smoked paprika if desired.
Then take a few teaspoons of coconut and use the honey as glue to hold the coconut to the wings.
Bake 400 degrees 35-40 minutes until cooked through and crispy. We made the salad while they baked. It worked out perfectly.

Now for the magical dancing slaw of happiness...

Peanut Plum Asian Slaw
1/2 cabbage
3 fresh plums
1 small fennel bulb, sliced fine
1 cup roasted peanuts, chopped rough
3/4 cup  Honeyville Dehydrated Carrots  
1 cup Honeyville Freeze Dried Pineapple  
Dressing:
1/3 cup lime juice and zest of one lime
1/3 cup  Lucero Crushed Mandarin Orange Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2/3 cup soy sauce
2 T Sesame Oil
1/3 cup peach jam (we used homemade)
3/4 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup chopped cilantro and 1/4 cup chopped lemon basil
1/2 bunch green onion
1/2 jalapeno, seeds removed

 It started with a short trip out to the garden where we got crazy! Thank you daddy for having this ready for me to play with. I love visiting a home where the grocery store lives outside the back door! Don't you?!
We pulled some green onions and jalepeno and some herb-age.
 The cilantro was a little loved...but we got what was left!
Dad had some gorgeous fennel bulbs going strong. They are perfect thinly sliced in an Asian slaw...and I couldn't stop myself from ripping this bad-boy-bulb out of the earth. Loooook at it. It's like a bulb-acious-babe. Wow. I just coked my head to the side like on Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure and said, "Bulb-acious-babe." Now...how odd is that? Don't answer. For Pete's sake...I'm totally aware of how odd I am.
Oh...and a moment of silence for home grown lemon basil of happiness. It made my heart sing. Ya know, like Elvis singing Now or Never...but to a plant. "Oh lemon basil...you are the queeeeen. Kiss me my darlin'. Be mine tonight!" Resist the urge to put this between your teeth and do the fandango across your kitchen floor...or not.
 The fresh plums came to us straight from Bountiful Baskets via Honeyville Farms in SLC. Thank you Lisa Barker for setting that up for me! Xo. They were gorgeous...oh...and the cabbage came from them too.
So...thinly slice the cabbage. Thin...because nothing ruins a slaw more than surfboard size cabbage planks. Yikes.
 Baby fine slices on the fennel bulb-acious-ness as well. Ya know...because we want it to be a garnish not a hair-do. We want it to mingle like a suave French-man at a swanky party...but in your salad...and without any random kissing on ladies.
 Combine all the salad ingredients in a large bowl... including the dehydrate carrots (yes I know they're dry...but the Honeyville ones are crispy and fluffy like carrot candy...so they won't break a tooth.)

You can add the jalapeno to the salad dressing or to the salad. It's your choice.

 Look...Isn't it pretty already?

Bwahaha! Now add the plums...
and the peanuts...
Now...the Freeze Dried Pineapple you can do one of two ways. You can  re-hydrate the pineapple separate in a bowl with hot water...or you can do what I do.
 Mix the dressing ingredients with a whisk:
Add the dry Freeze Dried Pineapple and let it soak up the dressing to hydrate it. UM yum. The coconut milk with the pineapple and the...oh...dang it...I popped.
Mix into the salad. Very technical-wizard-like...but I think you can do it.
Serve with the wings....and pass out too. 
There you go! Excellent food storage and fresh garden fusion 101. Keep on cookin' folks.
Your friend,
Chef Tess.

1 comment:

mlebagley said...

Oooh la YUMMO! These were so delicious I was picking the coconut off of the pan after all the chicken had been eaten! mmmmmm... good memories... your creative flare for yummy flavor combinations comes out on top again!