Monday, July 25, 2011

Lemon Blueberry Sponge Pudding Cakes

 For starters...I'm  very excited to offer this Spice Deal to those who shop me through Identity Magazine here ! Smoking great deal on shipping! Now on to the Lemon-blueberry happy land...
 A few weeks ago I started a cooking project with these glorious blueberries in mind. Aren't they the most plum, mind boggling, berry? I could eat them until my eyes are blue. {You know what I'm talking about right?} Mmm. Blueberries...I wish I was a Smurf. I'd use this as a hat. 
 Combined with this flavor I adore...
What's not to love about a lemon-blueberry light-n-fluffy cake? Mmmm.
 I wanted it to be a dessert that was individual size...and delightfully fresh and light for the summer. I wanted to be able to seriously impress too. It was for a big party I was doing soon. So...I started with these...baking ramekins.
So, when I saw Pat Sinclair's Cookbook share a recipe for Lemon Sponge Pudding Cake I was instantly converted to the idea of using the blueberries in the bottom of the cake and use the recipe for individual cups! It was perfect!  Pat's recipes have been spot on--every time! This is my recipe adapted from her original:

You will need:
10  1 cup baking ramekins
1 cup fresh blueberries or blackberries (freeze dried work, rehydrated with orange juice)
3 large eggs
1 cup milk or almond milk
1/4 cup lemon juice (2 lemons) and zest
3/4 cup sugar ( I used cardamom infused sugar 2 cups sugar 1 tsp ground cardamom)
1/4 cup all purpose flour (Gluten free use quinoa flour or rice flour)
1/8 tsp salt
3T melted butter
1/4 tsp Chef Tess Wise Women of the East Spice and Floral Blend

1/2 tsp lemon zest

Directions:
Heat the oven to 350 degrees. {Solar oven works amazing for these!}
Generously butter the ramekins and sprinkle with some additional infused sugar.


Add a few blueberries or blackberries to cover the bottom of the dish.
Combine the sugar, flour, salt spice blend, and zest in a small bowl.
Get the cutest kid you know and have them beat the yolks in a medium bowl until well blended. Add the milk and lemon juice. This boy also has an insane love for blueberries. When I told him the blueberries were for "something special" as he started eating them with vacuum velocity...he almost cried. So...I adjusted my day and remembered HE was the reason I was home in the first place...Thanks Face. You're my light!

It's a great time to teach the kiddos how to separate eggs too! Stir the flour mixture into the egg mixture and beat until smooth.   Stir in the melted butter or alternate oil.
Line all your dishes on a metal 9 by 13 casserole with a lip.  
Beat the Egg whites with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.  


Gently fold the whites into the pudding mixture, retaining as much air as possible. Pour into the separate baking dishes.

Place in the oven. Pour 3-4 cups boiling water to a depth of about 1 inch in the casserole so it surrounds the pudding cake ramekins. Bake 20-25 minutes until puffed and light brown.  Solar oven has no need for the water in the casserole. That's a perk.  Now after baking...carefully remove from the oven. Careful...we don't want that boiling hot water from the pan all over the floor...or kids nearby.
Dust generously with powdered sugar. I used a rose petal infused powdered sugar for some added sophistication...
Served warm it will be amazing. I for one could eat them all day...




There you go. Sponge Pudding Cakes of Glory.
Remember to see my latest
Giveaway! 


Also! Very excited to offer this Spice Deal to those who shop me through Identity Magazine here ! Smoking great deal on shipping!!

No comments: