Sunday, April 24, 2011

Temples and Easter Pageantry

In Mesa Arizona there is a special place of worship called the Mesa Temple. I gave guided tours of the gardens there in my late teen years and it has always held a special place in my heart, as that is also the place where Ace and I chose to be married over 15 years ago. Some of my friends have asked me  Why we build temples and if we go to church there to worship. Even more often I get asked What happens in temples?
When I go to the temple I have always felt a peace away from the world. That  peace the Saviour spoke of when He said:

 ‘Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.’”
 
Every year we host the largest outdoor  Easter Pageant . It is a celebration of the life and ministry of our Saviour Jesus Christ. It's a gathering of good people. All there to remember His life.  It lasts several nights, is free of charge and no donations are accepted. We took the boys to see the pageant this week.  The April breeze was gentle. The Spirit was strong. It was an outstanding experience. It always is.



We also have a beautiful Christus statue in our Mesa Arizona Temple Visitors’ Center



My favorite part of the gardens, especially at Easter, is the large number of olive trees. They have been in the gardens surrounding our temple since it was first constructed. Why? Because it reminds me of the garden of Gethsemane where my Saviour suffered for me. It reminds me that because of Him, this gospel is here in the first place and has the impact that it does in my life.

In a garden, this ressurection happened. It changed the world. It changed my life forever knowing it happened.

I know He lives. I know He loves me.

There it is.

2 comments:

JLang said...

Thanks for you your beautiful sentiments about our Savior. When you led tours at the temple, was Bob Bowden there? He was one of my favorite people. He was in our Bishopric of the first ward we lived in as a married couple. He also did all of our Insurance for us. He and his wife Jeri have a special place in my heart.

Chef Tess said...

Wow it's been 20 years ago. I can't remember a lot of names. If he was, I'm sure he was amazing. Most of the leadership were just outstanding mentors and the youth in general went on to do great things. It was an awesome program when they had it.