Sunday, March 13, 2011

Small and Simple Things...Service

When I got home from my segment on NBC Valley Dish this week I rushed my son to his first cub scout event.  Upon my return, I ended up taking a trip to the hospital with sweet Cussing Granny.  By 2 AM we knew she needed to stay.  Well, That's about all the detail I'm giving...except that it has been an eventful week.  Granny if finally home.  Ace has been home ill as well...and now add the boys.   Blah, blah, blah. I'm still okay--tired but okay. I'm beefing up on essential oils and herbals supplements. However, by yesterday night, coming home from the doctor with Face and finding myself a little spent...it was a joy to find someone had thought of us.  A dear lady from church had delivered a meal, unannounced and unsolicited to our family.  Waiting when I got home was a hot chicken and rice casserole, large fluffy rolls and a lemon ice cream pie. It's few and far between that someone cooks for us. I think folks get a little afraid to bring me a meal. This woman will perhaps never know how much I truly needed that act of service on our behalf.


The words from the 25th chapter of Matthew come to mind:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

“Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

“Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

“When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

“Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

“And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”12


"we are surrounded by those in need of our attention, our encouragement, our support, our comfort, 
our kindness—be they family members, friends, acquaintances, or strangers. 
We are the Lord’s hands here upon the earth, with the mandate to serve and to lift His children. 
He is dependent upon each of us." Thomas S. Monson.


There you go. Do something.

No comments: