Sunday, November 28, 2010

Seeing the Lights Together (Bread of Life Section)

Sunday is the day I share a little of my soul. Enjoy.

Early this we went as a family to look at Christmas lights. It was a great way to start off the Christmas season. When we first arrived at the lights, it was still dusk and the switch had not been turned on yet. The sun dipped below the horizon and my son asked me why there wasn't any light. Almost immediately and with a gasp...all was bright. He looked like he had seen a miracle. I almost started crying.

In a world of darkness it is sometimes easy to forget who is with us. It is easy to miss the light that is all around us. It is even more difficult when we don't see what the Lord sees. Yet, this week I was reminded of a spiritual battle that takes place every day. I was reminded that it is my job as a mother, to help my children to see the lights of the army of God all around us who are willing to go to battle with us. We are not alone in our efforts.

“And when the servant of the man of God was risen early, and gone forth, behold, an host compassed the city both with horses and chariots. And his servant said unto him, Alas, my master! how shall we do?

And he answered, Fear not: for they that be with us are more than they that be with them.

“And Elisha prayed, and said, Lord, I pray thee, open his eyes, that he may see. And the Lord opened the eyes of the young man; and he saw: and, behold, the mountain was full of horses and chariots of fire round about Elisha” (2 Kings. 6:15–17).

Be strong my friends. God will never forget us or leave us comfortless. He will come to us.

1 comment:

aswesow said...

I tend to be a bit of a cynic when it comes to all the trappings of Christmas. I guess because of the pagan origins of most of the traditions, and I believe it becomes a bit of a distraction for believers and non believers alike and the significance of the Light gets lost in it all. But I like that metaphor, and I'll remember that when I see all the Christmas lights!