Sunday, October 24, 2010

Things That Stay


Sunday is the day I share a little of my soul. Enjoy.


My son had some teeth come out and go away this last month. As the new permanent teeth have come in my son has asked, "Will these be the ones that stay?" For some reason those words have had particularly strong meaning to me. For me, it had nothing to do with teeth and everything to do with devotion. I want to stay.
The Savior asked His Apostles, “Will ye also go away?” (John 6:67)
How does anyone develop the power and strength to never leave the Lord in a world with so many distractions and such a cunning adversary? How can we win against an enemy who knows us, perhaps better than we know ourselves? The only way to victory, is to take as your battle partner the One who will never stop fighting in your defense.
I have the ability to choose what stays in my heart and what leaves. I hold or dispel feelings and beliefs that will ultimately lead to my success or failure. This is true always. What I take to my heart will make or break me as an individual. Yet how simple it is to choose to be full of anger toward another! I ask myself often:
Do I choose happiness over bitterness?
Do I choose God over men?
Do I choose to be offended or do I choose to love?
Do I choose to be ashamed of my Faith or stand firm in it?
Do I choose Faith or fear?
These are questions that ultimately will lead to my choice to stay...or go away.
One thing I know is certain. He will never leave. He will stay. If anyone leaves, it is me. I don't want to leave. I want to stay.
The song that gives me most strength says this:

The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose

I will not, I cannot, desert to his foes;

That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,

I’ll never, no never, I’ll never, no never,

I’ll never, no never, no never forsake!
You're not alone.

2 comments:

aswesow said...

When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
For I will be near thee, thy troubles to bless,
and sanctify to thee thy deepest distress,
Amen

Chef Tess said...

Amen indeed. Isaiah 50:7-8.