Thursday, October 21, 2010

Edible Fruit and Veggie Art!

Last weekend we had a women's getaway and craft day at the church. It seems I have a lot to catch up with on the blog, but I did especially want to share a class that one of our guest instructors taught on cutting fruit and veggie garnishes. I did large fruit and veggie displays at a local resort as the assistant banquet chef, but I was teaching a jam class at the retreat. Thankfully John Miles was willing to come in and help instruct the ladies.

John has unusual taste in aprons though.


One of our gals, Jessica, was even able to make a turkey from an apple...with a toddler in her lap. Be impressed!
John makes these crazy Halloween "finger foods" using carrots. I have to share:


Even more impressive are his carved carrot roses.

My personal favorite, cantaloupe roses.

Thank you John for the great class! Everyone went away feeling a new sense of creativity. I walked away thinking, "I need John's taste in aprons."

3 comments:

Mama Peck said...

What a fun class! Food art has always totally intrigued me. Thanks for sharing. I've got to remember those carrot fingers.. so much healthier than the cookie fingers I usually make for Halloween!

mlebagley said...

Wow! I love it! That carrot finger thing... very cool!

Erica Miles said...

That's my honey! We carved about two-dozen carrots for a "finger food" veggie tray. Even the kids helped - it was a lot of fun and made a lot of people smile. We took the tray to a church party where the carrots were a big hit. I must say, though, that it was a little disconcerting to see a teenage boy walking around the room with "my" thumb in his mouth.