Monday, October 18, 2010

Nutmeg Ginger Apple Snap Crisp Mix


For the past few months my kids and husband have been in total love with the movie "Fantastic Mr. Fox." So, it comes as no surprise that eventually I would use something from it in my family's menu. In the movie there are three mean nasty farmers. One of the farmers has a wife who makes these cinnamon nutmeg apple snap cookies that are mentioned about twelve times in the show. My kids quote it all the time. "Have you ever tasted one of Mrs. Bean's Nutmeg Ginger apple snaps? They're delicious." I had a case of Granny Smith apples sitting in my kitchen just begging for me to make something special. Vision a Muppet Show version of green apples with mouths talking every time I walk in a room. Welcome to my mind. They did talk to me. It's quite strange. So, I did decide to come up with a new dessert in honor of Mr. Fox (and the dancing singing apples in my kitchen). Thanks to the apples, I am now feeling very demented for ever hacking them up. I must say...
Nutmeg Ginger Apple Snap-Crisp Mix
4 cups quick rolled oats or 7 grain rolled cereal
2 cups brown sugar
1T cinnamon (high grade) or Wise Woman of The East Spice Blend
1 tsp nutmeg (ground)
2 tsp ginger (ground)
2 cups sliced almonds or chopped pistachio
1T dry lemon zest
1T salt
Combine all. Divide into 2 cup portions (yield 4 mixes)
To prepare you will need:
6 granny smith apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1/2 cup raspberry or strawberry jam (I use Homemade Prickly Pear Jam for bright Fall color)
1/2 cup melted butter
Directions:
Combine apples and jam and place in an 8 inch by 8 inch casserole.
Combine the melted butter and the dry crisp mix. Spread over the top of the apples. Bake 350 degrees for 45 minutes until apples are tender.
Serve with ice cream if desired.

There you go.

End note: The prickly pear jam and the pistachio together are particularly stunning in a presentation. I'll have to get on showing that to you. Really...stunning.

1 comment:

mello said...

We love Fantastic Mr. Fox. This recipe sounds soooo good! I make a similar topping mix, but would love to try this one. Where can I get the spice mix? And your other mixes for that matter?