Wednesday, February 3, 2010

41 Year Old Wheat Update...

Would you ever guess in a thousand years that this bread was made from wheat older than my husband?! 41 years old. Yikes. Apple sourdough was leavened without commercial yeast, just apples...and the wheat. Looks good enough to eat doesn't it?
On Monday I shared some very interesting wheat we had found in our food storage area. Wheat that is in fact 41 years old. Did you miss it?41 Year Old Wheat...Can You Cook It or Eat It? http://cheftessbakeresse.blogspot.com/2010/02/41-year-old-wheatcan-you-cook-it-or-eat.html
So Face ground up the wheat, about 2lbs of it, so I could make bread. What a sweet little boy. It baked up just like regular wheat bread. The only thing that I thought was a bit off was it tasted slightly rancid. Ace didn't seem to notice one bit. No, not one bit.
I also started some of the kernels soaking to sprout. So far we are still lifeless...but we have bread. Just a little update, as I'm sure everyone is as weird as I am and think this junk is fascinating. There's a great place to get food storage like this. Go to http://www.preparingwisely.com/ to find more ideas of getting food insurance...storing food for the future if there was an emergency. What amazing stuff!

2 comments:

luv2cknbk said...

These breads look amazing! WOuld you be kind enough to post the recipes even though I won't have 41 yr old wheat? Thank you.

Chef Tess said...

You can find the recipe for the basic whole wheat bread under the heading "basic breads" and the apple sourdough under "apple sourdough" on the left hand side of my blog scroll down about half way to find the list. Thank you for the great comment!