Sunday, September 13, 2009

Bread of Life Section...rice pudding.

Has anyone noticed I've been a little out of the loop the last week or so? I've actually been a nurse. My sweet little old lady mother-in-law has the horrid miserable experience of going through the shingles. I have seen the strongest most solid and independent woman at her most wretched moments. I wish I could take all the pain away. It's awful to watch someone you love and hold dear go through something like that. Even worse to feel helpless in offering much comfort. Yet, that has been my challenge the last couple of weeks. In the middle of all of this, Granny (that's what I've called my mother in law for years...isn't that funny?), told me about her childhood. It wasn't easy. She grew up on a small potato farm in southern Colorado. In the winter, Granny's Granny would make a slow cooked rice pudding. It took about 3 hours to cook this rice pudding and it was creamy with a skin that had to be taken off to see the sweet creamy pudding underneath. A few years ago I found a recipe for that pudding. We love it. Now after a busy week, I finally made some for Granny. Guess what Granny gets for breakfast? Why does that make me so excited? I've come to the realization that God gives us the chance to bring comfort in ways we never could understand. They are called Tender Mercies. Little reminders of our importance to God, given to us by the hand of someone on earth. They happen to me on a regular basis. Little random acts of kindness from friends or strangers that remind me how deeply and personally the Lord knows me and what I need. I hope you'll notice them a little more this week...for they are all around you. They may be something as simple as rice pudding.

1 comment:

mlebagley said...

So true, my friend, so true! You made me cry! AT WORK! That's what I get for reading your 'bread of life' section at work, eh? Love you!