Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Zig Zag Bread 1974

This is a decorative bread I think most every baker can make. It's not rocket science. Rocket art maybe. The painting isn't necessarily a "must have", but I loved it with the leaves. I thought it looked very 1974. Yup. That exact year. Random...yes, I know.


Tell me the flowered apron and crocheted doily aren't 1974. I rest my case.

To make the zig zag shaped loaf...
Prepare bread from any three of the basic bread recipe up to the point that they are formed into loaves (loaf molding )...raise in the pan as instructed. Then once it has raised over the rim, slide out of the pan onto a counter coated pretty heavily with flour...and sprinkle some on the top as well.


With a metal vegetable copper (I use a crinkle cutter for the leaf shaped ones) hold at an angel and slice ALMOST all the way through...

Repeat in a zig zag pattern across the loaf.

Snazzy huh?...Who says "snazzy"? Wow I am getting really random.

Transfer to a stoneware sheet pan and allow to raise a little longer, about 40 minutes. Preheat your oven the last 10 minutes...400 degrees. Bake 40-45 minutes.


Try to control your excitement. Okay. There you go.

Here's a little known fact, my dear friend Heather made the doily and 1974 apron. She's 25. Not even alive in 1974. How's that for random?

No comments: