Friday, December 19, 2008

Finally Snow in Arizona!!


OH BABY! It finally happened! We got snow. Apparently we need to make our own. When I was growing up it was traditional to have Mexican Wedding Cakes for Christmas. It just doesn't feel the same without these little white snow balls around. Last night my son pulled a chair up to the kitchen counter, strapped on his apron and helped me roll cookies. The magic moment froze. A frozen moment isn't cold like snow if it's a good moment... (Not like the moment when I got my first bra...now that is a frozen memory I could go without remembering.) Naaah. This is a good one. Cooking with my kiddo. So, before the magic moment melted away and the cookies were gone forever, I took a picture. Why not on the cactus? That way you really get my point. This is my mother's recipe, with a few additions of my own. I like lemon and a tsp of crushed anise seed in mine.

Mexican Wedding Cakes
2 cups flour
3/4 cup butter
1/4 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp vanilla
zest of 1 lemon
1 tsp crushed anise seed
1/2 cup fine chopped walnuts or almonds
1/4 cup cold water
powdered sugar (for rolling cookies)

Cream butter, powdered sugar. Add salt, vanilla, lemon zest and anise seed. Add the flour and nuts and mix add water 1/4 cup a tablespoon at a time just until it stinks together. You will need to squeeze them together. Roll in 1 inch balls and place on heavy sheet pan, 1 inch apart (they don't spread at all). Bake 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Roll in powdered sugar while still warm. Cool on rack. Roll in powdered sugar again if needed. The cake absorbs the sugar very quickly. Yield 5 dozen small cookies.

No comments: